Rekord C CarAVan with 1500 R3 Rekord A engine? (EN)

Alles für den Hobbyschrauber
GeXeS

Rekord C CarAVan with 1500 R3 Rekord A engine? (EN)

Beitrag von GeXeS »

Hello again, it's me with the "special" C Caravan that looks like a NSU :lol: [OO][---o---][OO]

I've got a riddle here in the technical papers that go with my car. The technical passport says my car is year 1964 "Caravan - R3" no. 14-3104130.
The engine is described as year 1964 1477 ccm, 55 hp @ 4500 rpm, no. 15-1282206.
All of the numbers correspond with the numbers on the body and the engine, just... the body is Rekord C Caravan, obviously :?

So... what do I have here in my garage? I was about to change the clutch, but as I was searching for the engine number, I realised there's something wrong. So my questions are: do I really have a C Caravan with Rekord A engine? Will I have to search for Rekord A clutch?
(And finally - how much of the car is Rekord A and how much of it is Rekord C? :D the front brakes are discs, so I guess the chassis SHOULD BE a Rekord C, but how can I be sure?)

Pictures:
Bild

body no.: http://i.imgur.com/EpzdHh9.jpg
engine no.: http://imgur.com/TWXGpw9.jpg

Thanks for any help!
(And again, sorry for not writing in Deutsch :( )

RonHammer

Beitrag von RonHammer »

You can sure, that your car is 100% Rekord C.
Not technical part is the same with a Rekord R3 (A-Model).
Rekord C has another engine, gearbox, axles and brakes.
I think its probably that you have the wrong title for your car.... :wink:
Suche Brief: Kadett B Coupé, Typschlüssel 429 und alle anderen Arten von CIH-Kadett-Briefen!
Joan

Beitrag von Joan »

If you post some detailed pictures we can nail it down, probably to the exact year.
Some may already know from the numbers you gave.

It happens quite often that some numbers get confused in the Offices for Traffic. Happend in Germany to me, and happend again in Sweden.

Some German Info:
The important parts can be seen here:
http://www.graf-vlad.de/inhalt/alte_kis ... ujahr.html

Signs:
http://graf-vlad.de/inhalt/alte_kisten/ ... mmern.html

Numbers
http://graf-vlad.de/inhalt/alte_kisten/ ... child.html
Commodore Coupe, Automatic Bj. '71, 28H
GeXeS

Beitrag von GeXeS »

Now I am even more puzzled. The trouble is that someone did a lot of changes to the car. It came into CZ in December 1969, according to the passport, and since then, six various people owned it (I am the 7th).

As I am looking at the pictures of interior and engine room, well... none fits mine :(
Engine: http://i.imgur.com/oQd0y.jpg
Interior: http://i.imgur.com/Lgnxv.jpg
(The steering wheel matches, but my speedometer on the right looks really different, the middle gauge shows FUEL/TEMP and the left one is a clock. The rpm-meter is added on the middle-panel - visible on the right under the steering wheel)

I think someone bastled this car REALLY much.
Joan

Beitrag von Joan »

Dont worry, your Dashboard, is a later version, from late 68? on
The variant with the chrome buttons is earlier modell, since it was surpassed with a steering that uses the whole percussion as button.

So 69 is pretty much the year of building! May be late 68

Caravan 15, no L (for luxury)

The FIN should start with 64 according to Graf Vlad ?

At the engine, The carburetor is not original, looks like a Varajet 2.
If you remove the airfilter, it is easier to verify.

Greetings
GeXeS

Beitrag von GeXeS »

Joan hat geschrieben:Dont worry, your Dashboard, is a later version, from late 68? on
The variant with the chrome buttons is earlier modell, since it was surpassed with a steering that uses the whole percussion as button.

So 69 is pretty much the year of building! May be late 68

Caravan 15, no L (for luxury)

The FIN should start with 64 according to Graf Vlad ?

At the engine, The carburetor is not original, looks like a Varajet 2.
If you remove the airfilter, it is easier to verify.

Greetings
Yes, according to Graf Vlad the FIN/VIN should start with 64, so my 14 seems strange. Also, I was not able to find the number on the front piece of the body, where it should be hidden over the cooler. Maybe it got into a car accident and the part was replaced, dunno.

The airfilter is definitely not original, too. I was buying a new filter recently and I was quite surprised when it not fitted. Of course I should have searched for the filter according to the cartridge type, not car model. Greenhorn's mistake :roll: the filter itself is Bosch 1.457.429.053 and I am replacing it with Filtron AR202.
Joan

Beitrag von Joan »

GeXeS hat geschrieben: I was not able to find the number on the front piece of the body, where it should be hidden over the cooler. Maybe it got into a car accident and the part was replaced, dunno.
Could be simply to much paint as well.
GeXeS hat geschrieben:
The airfilter is definitely not original, too. I was buying a new filter recently and I was quite surprised when it not fitted. Of course I should have searched for the filter according to the cartridge type, not car model. Greenhorn's mistake :roll: the filter itself is Bosch 1.457.429.053 and I am replacing it with Filtron AR202.
15 was carter or Solex 35 carburetor?? But they never had a dry air filter cartridge. Wonder what you found there? You either replace the cartdrige as you said after the cartridge that was in or you need to know what carburetor is in and from which car it came. You should know that anyway...
GeXeS

Beitrag von GeXeS »

Now I realise I forgot to mention quite an important detail - the sign at the back of the car body is REKORD 1700.

I think that somebody took a Rekord 1700, crashed it frontally and had to replace the front and the engine, which he took from 1500 R3 Rekord A. It would explain the engine, the re-made custom front mask AND the missing number where it should be above the radiator.
Joan

Beitrag von Joan »

Now i found the pictures, you must have some heat problems with this front!

Your engine is a CIH, that was introduced with the Rekord B and build until ? probably Rekord C (15N). The year can be found on the engine block. Not Rekord A

The Front is just heavily "repaired" i would say...

As Ron said, nothing from Rekord A there...
GeXeS

Beitrag von GeXeS »

I see... thank you very much. Where should I look for the year of the engine? Or is there any way how to tell from the serial number?

And the front - yes, I found out that, too :? I quite like the look of the weird front, but it works poorly with the radiator. [The TEMP gauge is always in green, though, even when the engine is clearly overheating. Might be a faulty thermometer.]
My actual plan is to cut a bigger hole in the front and make some grill there. It would be probably hard to fit an original Rekord C mask on front, because of the 4 solitary lights. Maybe a Vauxhall Victor front would be good, but I don't have the slightest idea where I could find one.
Joan

Beitrag von Joan »

I am of to vacation now.

Make some good pictures, tell what you want and you 'll get help.

Your car surly needs a lot of work.
Now you have to decide how and what to be done.

The year of the engine is intersting but does not tell you really much.
Im not expert enough, there is some year stemps around. Cant tell out of my head where exactly the signs are. Its circles with a year in it.

In case of the airfilter you have to check what carb you have.

Good Luck!
GeXeS

more pictures

Beitrag von GeXeS »

I made some new photos today. Can anybody tell me from these what carburetor is it? And the year/type of the engine, that's the most important thing now...
I have also found a piece of electronics that looks like it's missing a cable - the white one small round thing on the lower left side of first photo, near to the clutch. What is it?

Thank you very much for any answers, again. :oops:
Greaser

Beitrag von Greaser »

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that your carb is a Solex 35 PDSI with manual choke.
Regarding the displacement of your engine, I have a hint for you - pretty close to the right motor mount, you should be able to find a 15, 17, 19 or what ever in the cast. Here is a sample pic from my motor:

Bild

If nobody was there using a grinder in order to remove this displacement code, you have at least an indicator what kind of motor might be under your hood. Unfortunately this does not say anything about the compression ratio, which would be quite important to know as the necessary fuel quality depends on this. A 17N-Motor would work fine with 91 octane fuel whereas a 17S needs 98 octane...

Regarding your little "white round thing" I'm afraid I can't see what you mean on this foto. It's too dark for my monitor.

Regards

Michael
Viele Grüße
Michael

Die Straßenverkehrsordnung verstößt gegen meinen Fahrstil!
Jörg

Beitrag von Jörg »

Sicher meint der Kollege den Öldruckgeber.
Gruß Jörg

Signaturen werden vollkommen überbewertet.
GeXeS

Beitrag von GeXeS »

Hallo Michael, vielen dank!

So I went to the garage to check the number... nothing there in that position. But I found a little vignette on the other side, right above the 2nd spark-plug, with impacted numbers Δ19A. Does that mean anything?

Also the "little white thing" :D - it's the silver round plug on your engine on the down left, with two connectors. Is it some kind of temperature sensor? Mine has only one contact attached.
Antworten